The MIT Police detail office is located at the MIT Police Headquarters, 565-570 Memorial Drive, Building W91. This office is open between 8:00 AM and 2:00 PM most week days. It is advised that anyone needing to register an event call ahead: 617-253-9754 or 617-324-4880, or email

What is a Police Detail

A police detail is the assignment of one or more officers for a particular duty. A police detail is typically present at any road work where traffic must be diverted or events with special safety or security concerns.

When Are Police Details Required

The MIT Police Department will determine all cases where police details are required. Police details are usually required for events when alcohol is served, when cash is collected, and where live bands are playing. When safety and security concerns are evident, police details may also be required. A police detail is mandatory whenever an event requires or is permitted use of metal detectors.

What Does a Police Detail Officer Do

A police detail involves a police officer(s) who will be present for the duration of the event and will support the event group by monitoring the cash box and exchange of monies as well as being available to help if additional security problems arise. Event organizers should always introduce themselves to the police detail before the event begins.

Request a Police Detail

The process for arranging police details begins with completing an Event Registration Form available in the Student Activities Office (W20-549, 253-6777), Campus Activities Complex (W20-500, 253-3913), or MIT Events and Information Center (7-121, 253-4795). See MIT's Event Regulations page for additional information.

Requests for police details must be made at least five (5) working days in advance. It is highly recommended to start the process a month before your event date. The group sponsoring the event is responsible for the cost of any police details.

How Much Does a Police Detail Cost

The fees vary, but a rate scale is available from the detail sergeant, and payment may be made by check or departmental account number. In the case of ASA recognized student groups, the Police will submit the names of groups owing money to the SAO, who will transfer the appropriate funds to the Police. Check with SAO for more information (