2 Incidents: Burglary
The Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity, which is located at 485 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston was burglarized on 07/10/2018 between approximately 10:00 AM and 6:00 PM. 485 Commonwealth Avenue is connected to 487 Commonwealth Avenue, which was also burglarized previously this week.
There is no suspect at this time.
On 07/10/2018, MIT Police responded a past burglary to the Sigma Chi fraternity, which is located at 532 Beacon Street in Boston. The reporting party stated that a bicycle was stolen from the basement storage area sometime between Sunday, 07/08/2018 and Monday, 07/09/2018. The break-in was reported to the MIT Police this evening.
There is no suspect at this time
While victims of crimes are never to blame for criminal activity, there are some precautions that can be taken. In order to protect yourself and your belongings from theft and/or facilitate the recovery of your stolen property, MIT Police encourage you to follow these tips:
· See Something – Say Something: Immediately notify the MIT Police at 617-253-1212 or 100 from any campus phone if you believe a crime is occurring, has occurred, or is about to occur.
· If you believe a crime has occurred, never wait to call the police. Waiting may lead to the destruction of evidence.
· If you are living in an MIT FSILG or other MIT housing this summer, make sure any non-MIT residents know to call the MIT Police in an emergency or to report criminal activity.
· Always lock your doors and windows. Assure that the locks are in good working order.
· Report all tailgaters, report suspicious people/activity.
· Document serial numbers of your electronics and take pictures of your valuables. Keep this in a safe place to provide to the police in the event you are burglarized.
The MIT Police want to remind the MIT community that we are located in an urban setting and share many of the crime and safety issues that exist in any city.
The MIT Police are investigating these crimes and request the assistance from the MIT community. If you wish to leave an anonymous tip please call 617-258-TIPS (8-8477).
Sgt. Andrew Turco
MIT Police Department