On March 11, 2020, at 5:17 PM, the MIT Police responded to Epsilon Theta, an independent living group located at 259 St. Paul Street in Brookline, on a report of a burglary. The reporting party stated that sometime between 11:59 PM on Tuesday, March 10, 2020, and 12:05 AM on Wednesday, March 11, 2020, someone not affiliated with the organization entered the residence through a locked rear exterior door. Video surveillance shows the suspect entering the rear door and, upon noticing the surveillance camera, removing it from the wall. As there were no eyewitnesses, no other information is available about the suspect’s activities within the living group. This is the second burglary at this location in the last week.
While victims of crimes are never to blame for criminal activity, there are some precautions that can be taken. In order to protect yourself and your belongings from theft and/or facilitate the recovery of your stolen property, MIT Police encourage you to follow these tips:
· See Something – Say Something: Immediately notify the MIT Police at 617-253-1212 or 100 from any campus phone if you believe a crime is occurring, has occurred, or is about to occur.
· Always lock your office and residential doors and windows. Assure that the locks are in good working order.
· Lock your office or residential door if you are leaving (even if only for a minute or two).
· When entering or exiting an office, make sure the door closes tightly behind you.
· Report suspicious people or activity. Report all tailgaters.
The MIT Police want to remind the MIT community that we are located in an urban setting and share many of the crime and safety issues that exist in any city.
The MIT Police are investigating this crime and request the assistance from the MIT community. If you wish to leave an anonymous tip please call 617-258-TIPS (8-8477).
Based on a review of video surveillance, the suspect appears to meet the following description: Male, Black, 20-25 years of age, 5’8”-5’10”, wearing a white t-shirt, camouflage pants and barefoot.
Sergeant David J. O'Connor
Crime Prevention/Community Policing Unit
301 Vassar Street
Cambridge, Ma. 02139