On April 19, 2020 at 7:10 PM, the MIT Police responded to Theta XI, an MIT fraternity located at 64-66 Bay State Rd. in Boston on a report of a burglary. The reporting party stated that on Saturday April 18, 2020 at 5:53 PM, someone entered the residence and removed 3 surveillance cameras. One camera was taken from the first floor stairwell of 64 Bay State Rd. and 2 cameras were taken from the first floor area of 66 Bay State Rd. The suspect also removed clothing from the first floor entrance area of 66 Bay State Rd. There were no signs of forced entry.
The following description is from video footage of the suspect: Male, Hispanic, light complexion, 5’8”-5’10”, wearing a white hat, tan coat, orange work gloves, black pants, black sneakers and wearing a red and black backpack.
While victims of crimes are never to blame for criminal activity, there are some precautions that can be taken. In order to protect yourself and your belongings from theft and/or facilitate the recovery of your stolen property, MIT Police encourage you to follow these tips:
· See Something – Say Something: Immediately notify the MIT Police at 617-253-1212 or 100 from any campus phone if you believe a crime is occurring, has occurred, or is about to occur.
· Always lock your office and residential doors and windows. Assure that the locks are in good working order.
· Lock your office or residential door if you are leaving (even if only for a minute or two).
· When entering or exiting an office, make sure the door closes tightly behind you.
· Report suspicious people or activity. Report all tailgaters.
The MIT Police want to remind the MIT community that we are located in an urban setting and share many of the crime and safety issues that exist in any city.
The MIT Police are investigating this crime and request the assistance from the MIT community. If you wish to leave an anonymous tip please call 617-258-TIPS (8-8477).