On September 17, 2019, MIT Police responded to a past burglary at the Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity house, which is located at 530 Beacon St. in Boston. Residents reported that a bicycle was stolen from the basement bike storage area sometime between September 16, 2019 at 4:00PM and September 17, 2019 at 07:45AM. There were no signs of forced entry to the doorway of this location. The door may have been unsecured during the time of the burglary. The incident was reported to the MIT Police this evening.
While victims of crimes are never to blame for criminal activity, there are some precautions that can be taken. In order to protect yourself and your belongings from theft and/or facilitate the recovery of your stolen property, MIT Police encourage you to follow these tips:
· See Something – Say Something: Immediately notify the MIT Police at 617-253-1212 or 100 from any campus phone if you believe a crime is occurring, has occurred, or is about to occur.
· Always lock your office and residential doors and windows. Assure that the locks are in good working order.
· Lock your office or residential door if you are leaving (even if only for a minute or two).
· When entering or exiting an office, make sure the door closes tightly behind you.
· Report suspicious people or activity. Report all tailgaters.
The MIT Police want to remind the MIT community that we are located in an urban setting and share many of the crime and safety issues that exist in any city.
The MIT Police are investigating these crimes and request the assistance from the MIT community. If you wish to leave an anonymous tip please call 617-258-TIPS (8-8477).
There is no suspect description available at this time.
Sergeant David J. O'Connor
Crime Prevention/Community Policing Unit
301 Vassar Street
Cambridge, Ma. 02139