On September 1, 2019 at 8:50 p.m., the MIT Police responded to the Beta Theta Pi fraternity house, located at 119 Bay State Road on a report of a burglary. The reporting party stated that he encountered an unknown individual in the third floor window of his bed room. The suspect had removed the air conditioning unit from the window and after placing it on the fire escape, he attempted to enter the room. The suspect fled down the fire escape in an unknown direction.
The reporting party described the suspect as: Male, Black, 6'00", athletic build, 50 years of age, bald head , dark beard with specks of gray, wearing a purple and plaid shirt and dark jeans.
While victims of crimes are never to blame for criminal activity, there are some precautions that can be taken. In order to protect yourself and your belongings from theft and/or facilitate the recovery of your stolen property, MIT Police encourage you to follow these tips:
· See Something – Say Something: Immediately notify the MIT Police at 617-253-1212 or 100 from any campus phone if you believe a crime is occurring, has occurred, or is about to occur.
· Always lock your office and residential doors and windows. Assure that the locks are in good working order.
· Lock your office or residential door if you are leaving (even if only for a minute or two).
· When entering or exiting an office, make sure the door closes tightly behind you.
· Report suspicious people or activity. Report all tailgaters.
The MIT Police want to remind the MIT community that we are located in an urban setting and share many of the crime and safety issues that exist in any city.
The MIT Police are investigating this crime and request the assistance from the MIT community. If you wish to leave an anonymous tip please call 617-258-TIPS (8-8477).
Sergeant David J. O'Connor