A motor scooter was stolen from the rear patio of Phi Kappa Sigma, located at 530 Beacon Street, Boston sometime between November 19, 2018 at 6:00AM and November 20, 2018 at 4:55PM.
The area on and around campus has experienced an increase in two-wheeled motor vehicle theft in the last few months.
There is no suspect description at this time.
While victims of crime are never to blame for criminal activity, there are some precautions that can be taken. In order to protect yourself and your belongings from theft and/or facilitate the recovery of your stolen property, MIT Police encourage you to follow these tips:
• See Something – Say Something: Immediately notify the MIT Police at 617-253-1212 or 100 from any campus phone if you believe a crime is occurring, has occurred, or is about to occur.
• Thieves look for targets of opportunity. Always remove your keys, roll up your windows, and lock your vehicle.
• Never leave your motor vehicle unattended while it's running.
• Secure valuables out of sight.
• Park in well-lit areas with plenty of pedestrian traffic.
• Report all suspicious persons, vehicles, and activities to the MIT Police immediately.
The MIT Police want to remind the MIT community that we are located in an urban setting and share many of the crime and safety issues that exist in any city. There has been a sustained heighted level of two-wheeled theft activity in the area towards the end of this calendar year when compared to previous years.
The MIT Police are investigating this crime and request the assistance from the MIT community. If you wish to leave an anonymous tip please call 617-258-TIPS (8-8477).
Before leaving for the Thanksgiving break, please remember to secure all belongings, windows and doors. Have fun and stay safe!
Captain Andrew J. Turco
MIT Police Department
301 Vassar Street (W89)