Sigma Chi fraternity, which is located at 532 Beacon Street, Boston was burglarized on Monday, August 28, 2017 sometime between 1:30AM and 8:40AM.
Residents of Sigma Chi fraternity reported they attempted to access the basement but were unable to. The residents, once inside, found miscellaneous items had been stacked up against the inside door blocking the basement door. A search of the room revealed that boxes had been ransacked through and at this time, only a mountain bike was reported stolen. It is unknown at this time how entry into the residence was made.
There is no suspect description at this time.
Suggestions: In order to protect yourself and your belongings from theft and/or facilitate the recovery of your stolen property, MIT Police encourage you to follow these tips:
• ALWAYS lock your doors and windows.
• Please don’t prop doors open and report tailgaters.
• Document serial numbers of all electronics and take pictures of all valuables. Keep this in a safe place to provide to the police in the event you are burglarized.
• Be watchful: See Something = Say Something. Call the MIT Police immediately at 617-253-1212.
• Get your laptop tagged! Laptop tagging and registration is a free service for MIT community members. It’s offered by Information Systems & Technology (IS&T), with the support of the MIT Police. The next laptop tagging event is on September 5, 2017 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Computing @ MIT event in the lobby of the Zesiger Sports and Fitness Center (W35).
• Immediately notify the MIT Police at 617-253-1212 or 100 from any campus phone if you believe a crime is occurring, has occurred, or is about to occur.
The MIT Police want to remind the MIT community that we are located in an urban setting and share many of the crime and safety issues that exist in any city.
The MIT Police are investigating these crimes and request the assistance from the MIT community. If you wish to leave an anonymous tip please call 617-258-TIPS (8-8477)
MIT Police Department