Two dorm rooms on an upper floor of Green Hall, Building W5, which is located at 350 Memorial Drive, were burglarized sometime on Saturday, May 5, 2018 between 7:30PM and 11:15PM.
Two residents of two separate dorm rooms in Green Hall reported that their laptops were stolen from their dorm rooms. Both dorm rooms were unsecured at the time of the thefts. Neither victim was present at the time of the thefts.
There is no suspect description at this time.
While victims of crimes are never to blame for criminal activity, there are some precautions that can be taken. In order to protect yourself and your belongings from theft and/or facilitate the recovery of your stolen property, MIT Police encourage you to follow these tips:
- Always lock your doors and windows.
- Report all tailgaters, report suspicious people/activity.
- See Something – Say Something: Immediately notify the MIT Police at 617-253-1212 or 100 from any campus phone if you believe a crime is occurring, has occurred, or is about to occur.
- Assure that door and window locks are in good working order.
- Don’t prop doors open.
- Document serial numbers of your electronics and take pictures of your valuables. Keep this in a safe place to provide to the police in the event you are burglarized.
- Register your laptop computer. Laptop tagging is now free for the MIT community, and is offered at the IS&T Service Desk in the Atlas Center at E17-106.
The MIT Police want to remind the MIT community that we are located in an urban setting and share many of the crime and safety issues that exist in any city.
The MIT Police are investigating this crime and request the assistance from the MIT community. If you wish to leave an anonymous tip please call 617-258-TIPS (8-8477).
Sgt. Andrew Turco
MIT Police Department