Multiple offices on an upper floor in Building E25, which is located at 45 Carleton Street, were burglarized sometime between May 16 at 11:00PM and May 17 at 7:00AM.
The reporting party stated that when he arrived to his work area in E25 the morning of Thursday May 17, 2018, he noticed a number of offices along the hallway had their glass doors broken. At this time, several items, including laptops and keys, have been reported stolen.
There is no suspect description at this time.
While victims of crimes are never to blame for criminal activity, there are some precautions that can be taken. In order to protect yourself and your belongings from theft and/or facilitate the recovery of your stolen property, MIT Police encourage you to follow these tips:
- See Something – Say Something: Immediately notify the MIT Police at 617-253-1212 or 100 from any campus phone if you believe a crime is occurring, has occurred, or is about to occur.
- Report all tailgaters, report suspicious people/activity.
- Always lock your doors and windows.
- Assure that door and window locks are in good working order.
- Don’t prop doors open.
- Document serial numbers of your electronics and take pictures of your valuables. Keep this in a safe place to provide to the police in the event you are burglarized.
- Register your laptop computer. Laptop tagging is now free for the MIT community, and is offered at the IS&T Service Desk in the Atlas Center at E17-106.
The MIT Police want to remind the MIT community that we are located in an urban setting and share many of the crime and safety issues that exist in any city.
The MIT Police are investigating this crime and request the assistance from the MIT community. If you wish to leave an anonymous tip please call 617-258-TIPS (8-8477).
Crime Analyst | MIT Police Department
W89/301 Vassar Street, Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 715-4890 | email@example.com