On April 18, 2019, the MIT Police were notified of two burglaries at an MIT residential hall located at 70 Amherst Street, Cambridge, MA.
Incident #1 Reporting party stated that sometime between Thursday, April 11, 2019 and Tuesday, April 16, 2019, someone entered their dormitory room and removed two laptop computers and $200 cash. The door was unlocked during the time period when the theft appears to have occurred.
Incident #2 Reporting party stated that on Saturday, April 13, 2019 between the hours of 10 p.m. and midnight, they awoke to find an unknown person in their dormitory room. When the suspect realized the room was occupied, they quickly exited the room. The room was unlocked at the time of this incident.
It should be noted that both of the rooms involved in this timely warning are located on an upper floor and next to each other.
There is no suspect description available at this time.
While victims of crimes are never to blame for criminal activity, there are some precautions that can be taken. In order to protect yourself and your belongings from theft and/or facilitate the recovery of your stolen property, MIT Police encourage you to follow these tips:
• See Something – Say Something: Immediately notify the MIT Police at 617-253-1212 or 100 from any campus phone if you believe a crime is occurring, has occurred, or is about to occur.
• Always lock your office and residential doors and windows. Assure that the locks are in good working order.
• Lock your office or residential door if you are leaving (even if only for a minute or two).
• When entering or exiting an office, make sure the door closes tightly behind you.
• Report suspicious people or activity. Report all tailgaters.
The MIT Police want to remind the MIT community that we are located in an urban setting and share many of the crime and safety issues that exist in any city.
The MIT Police are investigating these crimes and request the assistance from the MIT community. If you wish to leave an anonymous tip please call 617-258-TIPS (8-8477).
Sergeant David J. O'Connor
Crime Prevention/Community Policing Unit
301 Vassar Street
Cambridge, Ma. 02139