On August 30, 2018 at around 6:55 PM, an employee reported that an office on an upper floor in Building E19, which is located at 400 Main Street, Cambridge, was burglarized sometime between August 29 at 6:30 PM and August 30 at 9:00 AM. Multiple items, including two laptops and jewelry, have been reported stolen. No signs of forced entry were noted to the locked area at this time.
There is no suspect description at this time.
While victims of crimes are never to blame for criminal activity, there are some precautions that can be taken. In order to protect yourself and your belongings from theft and/or facilitate the recovery of your stolen property, MIT Police encourage you to follow these tips:
- See Something – Say Something: Immediately notify the MIT Police at 617-253-1212 or 100 from any campus phone if you believe a crime is occurring, has occurred, or is about to occur.
- Take valuables with you if you leave for an extended period of time or take additional safety measures to secure items.
- Keep doors and windows locked. Assure that the locks are in good working order.
- Report all tailgaters, report suspicious people/activity.
- Document serial numbers of your electronics and take pictures of your valuables. Keep this in a safe place to provide to the police in the event you are burglarized.
- Register your laptop computer. Laptop tagging is free for the MIT community, and is offered at the IS&T Service Desk in E17-106.
The MIT Police want to remind the MIT community that we are located in an urban setting and share many of the crime and safety issues that exist in any city.
The MIT Police are investigating this crime and request the assistance from the MIT community. If you wish to leave an anonymous tip please call 617-258-TIPS (8-8477).
MIT Police Department