A dorm room in an upper floor of the Burton Conner dorm, located at 410 Memorial Drive was burglarized on August 24, 2018 sometime between 5:00 PM and 8:00 PM. A laptop was stolen. The door to the room was unlocked at the time of the theft.
There is no suspect description at this time.
While victims of crimes are never to blame for criminal activity, there are some precautions that can be taken. In order to protect yourself and your belongings from theft and/or facilitate the recovery of your stolen property, MIT Police encourage you to follow these tips:
• See Something – Say Something: Immediately notify the MIT Police at 617-253-1212 or 100 from any campus phone if you believe a crime is occurring, has occurred, or is about to occur.
• Always lock your doors and windows. Assure that the locks are in good working order.
• Lock your dorm room if you are leaving (even if only for a minute or two).
• Report all tailgaters.
• If guests or contractors attempt to enter a dorm through a side entrance, direct them to enter through a main entrance instead.
• Report suspicious people or activity.
• Document serial numbers of your electronics and take pictures of your valuables. Keep this in a safe place to provide to the police in the event you are burglarized.
The MIT Police want to remind the MIT community that we are located in an urban setting and share many of the crime and safety issues that exist in any city. Also, there is often an increase in thefts during move in and move out times.
The MIT Police are investigating these crimes and request the assistance from the MIT community. If you wish to leave an anonymous tip please call 617-258-TIPS (8-8477).
Sgt. Andrew Turco
MIT Police Department