A work area on the 2nd floor of building 31, located at 70 Rear Vassar Street, Cambridge was burglarized sometime between 6 p.m. on March 22, 2019 and 10 a.m. on March 24, 2019. Someone entered the area and removed two pairs of Bose headphones. The area is card access only during non-business hours.
There is no suspect description at this time.
While victims of crimes are never to blame for criminal activity, there are some precautions that can be taken. In order to protect yourself and your belongings from theft and/or facilitate the recovery of your stolen property, MIT Police encourage you to follow these tips:
• See Something – Say Something: Immediately notify the MIT Police at 617-253-1212 or 100 from any campus phone if you believe a crime is occurring, has occurred, or is about to occur.
• Take easily portable valuables with you if you leave for an extended period of time or take additional safety measures to secure items.
• Always lock your office and residential doors and windows. Assure that the locks are in good working order.
• Lock your office door if you are leaving (even if only for a minute or two).
• When entering or exiting an office, make sure the door closes tightly behind you.
• Report suspicious people or activity. Report all tailgaters.
• The MIT Police are here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week – even during Spring Break! If you plan on leaving campus during break, please remember to secure all belongings, windows, and doors.
The MIT Police want to remind the MIT community that we are located in an urban setting and share many of the crime and safety issues that exist in any city.
The MIT Police are investigating this crime and request the assistance from the MIT community. If you wish to leave an anonymous tip please call 617-258-TIPS (8-8477).
MIT Police Department
301 Vassar Street (W89)