On the evening of January 7, 2019, the MIT Police were notified of a past burglary at the Delta Tau Delta fraternity, which is located at 416 Beacon Street in Boston. The reporting party informed MIT Police that a bicycle was stolen from an unattached garage in the rear of the residence between the hours of 9:00PM on 1/5/2019 and 6:00PM on 1/6/2019.
There is no suspect description at this time.
Suggestions: While victims of crimes are never to blame for criminal activity, there are some precautions that can be taken. In order to protect yourself and your belongings from theft and/or facilitate the recovery of your stolen property, MIT Police encourage you to follow these tips:
• See Something – Say Something: Immediately notify the MIT Police at 617-253-1212 or 100 from any campus phone if you believe a crime is occurring, has occurred, or is about to occur.
• Always lock your doors and windows. Assure that the locks are in good working order.
• Report all tailgaters, report suspicious people/activity.
• Register your bicycle with MIT Parking and Transportation. Registering your bike helps to recover it should your bike become lost or stolen. For more information visit: web.mit.edu/facilities/transportation/bicycle_reg.html
• The MIT Police are here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week – even during Winter Break! If you plan on leaving campus during break, please remember to secure all belongings, windows, and doors.
• Be extra vigilant this time of year. Would-be burglars know that there are fewer people on campus and in FSILGs during academic breaks.
The MIT Police want to remind the MIT community that we are located in an urban setting and share many of the crime and safety issues that exist in any city.
The MIT Police are investigating this crime and request the assistance from the MIT community. If you wish to leave an anonymous tip please call 617-258-TIPS (8-8477).
Captain Andrew Turco
MIT Police Department