Theta Chi fraternity, which is located at 528 Beacon Street, Boston was burglarized on Monday, July 17, 2017 at approximately 6:15 AM.
A resident of the Theta Chi fraternity reported his bicycle stolen from the basement of the residence at 528 Beacon Street. A summer resident mistakenly let an unknown male into the house at approximately 6:15 AM as he was leaving for the day. Cameras in the house captured footage of the unknown male intruder going into the basement, taking a bike and helmet, and departing out the rear door of the house.
Male, Caucasian, mid to late twenties, with a medium/athletic build. He has short dark hair and facial hair. He wore a back pack, long athletic shorts and a grey t-shirt.
Suggestions: In order to protect yourself and your belongings from theft and/or facilitate the recovery of your stolen property, MIT Police encourage you to follow these tips:
• ALWAYS lock your doors and windows.
• Please don’t prop doors open and report tailgaters.
• If your residence has an alarm system, make sure it is utilized properly and kept in good working order.
• If you are living in an MIT FSILG or other MIT housing this summer, make sure any non-MIT residents know to call 617-253-1212 in an emergency or to report criminal activity.
• Document serial numbers of all electronics and take pictures of all valuables. Keep this in a safe place to provide to the police in the event you are burglarized.
• Be watchful: See Something = Say Something
• Immediately notify the MIT Police at 617-253-1212 or 100 from any campus phone if you believe a crime is occurring, has occurred, or is about to occur.
The MIT Police want to remind the MIT community that we are located in an urban setting and share many of the crime and safety issues that exist in any city.
The MIT Police are investigating this crime and request the assistance from the MIT community. If you wish to leave an anonymous tip please call 617-258-TIPS (8-8477)
Sgt. Andrew Turco
MIT Police Department