An unknown person was reported entering a resident’s dorm room on the 6th floor of Maseeh Hall, a residence hall, located at 305 Memorial Drive/Building W1, at approximately 4:50 AM on Tuesday, October 3, 2017.
The reporting party described the suspect as: male, black, 6’ tall, slender, and wearing a collared shirt.
A resident reported that she was awoken by the sound of her unlocked door being opened by an unknown male at 4:50 AM this morning. The resident stated the male opened the door half way and when he noticed she was awake, he immediately closed the door. The MIT Police conducted a search of the residence hall for the unknown male with negative results.
At this time, there are no items reported missing from the dorm room. This continues to be an active and ongoing investigation.
Suggestions: In order to protect yourself and your belongings from theft and/or facilitate the recovery of your stolen property, MIT Police encourage you to follow these tips:
• ALWAYS lock your doors and windows.
• Please do not prop doors open.
• Report all tailgaters.
• Document serial numbers of all electronics and take pictures of all valuables. Keep this in a safe place to provide to the police in the event you are burglarized.
• Be watchful: See Something = Say Something. Call the MIT Police immediately at 617-253-1212.
• Immediately notify the MIT Police at 617-253-1212 or 100 from any campus phone if you believe a crime is occurring, has occurred, or is about to occur.
The MIT Police want to remind the MIT community that we are located in an urban setting and share many of the crime and safety issues that exist in any city.
The MIT Police are investigating this incident and request the assistance from the MIT community. If you wish to leave an anonymous tip please call 617-258-TIPS (8-8477). If you have any information about this incident, please contact us at 617-253-1212.
Sgt. Andrew Turco
MIT Police Department